As you will quickly realise a good number of the scams and frauds discussed in the Little Black Books are the result of hacking of your computer, tablet, and mobile through the Internet. Once the scammer gets access to your machine s/he will practically do what s/he wants – scrummaging your records for personal and financial information as well as changing the security and settings of your device so that s/he can access it a will.
Too often, scam attacks can be repulsed if you make sure that your security settings for your device are properly triggered. Keep in mind that scammers prefer targeting easy prey as they want a ‘fast hack’ without expanding too much effort and time – so if you have your basic security parameters in place there is a likelihood that they back off and target somebody else.
The eSkills Malta Foundation together with ĠEMMA have put together this ease of use guidebook showing you how to enable some of the basic security features on you Mac computer. Seven important steps are presented – being:
- Keep your system up to date, both macOS and installed software.
- Protecting your privacy.https://gemma.gov.mt/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Secure_Mac.pdf
- Turn on FileVault to encrypt your data.
- Do not share your location with every app.
- Stop your Mac’s suggestions, uncheck Siri suggestions.
- Set a non-privileged account
- Use advanced Mac Cleaner tools.
Click on this link to download the Mac Security Guidebook.