Today we upload the 4th video of our 5 video series of how you can eat healty food on a budget. The ĠEMMA budget healthy food receipe presented today prepared specifically for ĠEMMA by Chef Neil Darmanin is that of Pulpetti.
How many times have we heard –
My monthly spending goes towards food. I spend around €450 a month on grocery shopping half of which are specifically for the children.
Small, thoughtless expenses are easy to make, taking into consideration our on-going busy routine too, but unfortunately, they add up to sums of money down the line. Negligent money management practice is also a factor that can affect our overall health.
How can you address overspending on food?
- Set up an effective financial plan taking a harder look at your outgoings
There are plenty of free online resources like GEMMA’s calculators. You may also wish to make use of free mobile apps.
- Be aware of impulse buying; admit it; eliminate it
Temptation can be resisted and impulse buying can be eliminated by
– doing a pre-determined list prior shopping,
– going shopping with a pre-determined budget in mind,
– going shopping with a pre-determined amount of cash in hand.
- Avoid buying in bulk altogether
Buying in bulk means lower prices – fair enough if there are discounts related to it but it
– tends to increase usage because of expiry date
– tends to increase consumption because food item is available and in bulk
– tends to remain on the shelf until they get expired and thrown away
- Get a school lunch, meal timetable
-Make a weekly menu plan using inexpensive ingredients in various ways – short of ideas? google them rather than relying on expensive last-minute salty fatty take-aways that lead to other health problems.
-Set aside enough time to prepare the meals – let’s say Saturday afternoon or Sunday mornings.
-If you have got children, involve them.
-Go for healthy shopping choices – not costly, yet healthy and filling.
Good health habits and wise money-management practices should be looked upon as pleasure, part and parcel of our daily routine to maintain a healthful living. Anybody who practices healthful behaviours is more likely to continue in the same habits.
Every Thursday over the coming weeks we will upload a budget healthy food recipe that is specifically prepared for ĠEMMA by Chef Neil Darmanin. The ĠEMMA budget health food recipes are:
|Gnocchi||Thursday 23th July|