The Minister for the Economy, Investment and Small Businesses Silvio Schembri spoke about how many couples had to postpone or cancel their wedding/civil unions altogether this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Unfortunately, some deposits have been lost too.
In light of this, couples whose weddings/civil unions had to take place between 8th March and 30th September can now apply to get reimbursed for their forfeited deposits and can benefit for a refund of up to a maximum of €2,000. A total budget of €2 million has been allocated.
The Minister explained that such services can include catering, floral arrangements, photographers, chauffeur hired cars and even services of beauticians and hairdressers.
The scheme forms part of the government’s ‘mini-budget’ aimed at helping the economy to recover from the impact of the coronavirus pandemic negative effects.
The Minister also acknowledged that those who have gone ahead with their plans had to take a number of measures to safeguard their health and that of their guests.
Back in March, many couples had no other option other than that of cancelling or postponing their wedding. In summer, new regulations for weddings included a strict limit of invites, sitting-down reception, with food and drinks only served to seated guests.
Required documents to be submitted include
- a copy of the original invoices and the receipt of the deposit paid,
- copy of the final fiscal receipt of good and services provided,
- copy of the original contracts and subsequent amendments along with
- the declaration of the vendor/service provider that the original deposit was kept by the vendor/service provider.
The Minister explained that the application process is simple, and applications can be submitted online at https://mfin.gov.mt/en/Services/Pages/Grants.aspx. Payments will be transferred directly to the bank account as indicated by the applicant in the application.
- Click here for a copy of the scheme.
Click here for the Application Form.
- Click here for more information about Eligibility – https://www.servizz.gov.mt/en/Pages/Tax-and-Finance/Taxation/Tax/WEB05197/default.aspx
- For any queries call 153.